Translate

Monday, 18 August 2014

Five tips for studying Public Relations

Here goes nothing. It is my first time blogging and I must tell you, it is so nerve wrecking. With all that said, I am so excited and I hope it will be fun for all. I am a Public Relations student at the University of Johannesburg, to describe myself I would say I am a vibrant ball of energy, outgoing and absolutely love people from all walks of life, shapes and dimensions. In this blog I will be discussing five tips for Studying Public Relations, I hope you do enjoy!

What is Public Relations?

Public Relations is a very important part of any company, it ensures the image of the company is upheld and is in a good reputation. The primary objective is to build and maintain relationships with its internal and external public by having effective two-way communication amongst them and their stakeholders.

Tip #1: Writing and editing is a necessity.

Writing and editing is a very important skill one needs in the study of Public Relations. In Public Relations you find yourself writing and editing all the time. I cannot over emphasize the need for skillful writing and editing abilities, It is the end and be all of Public Relations. You do a lot of writing, for instance: newsletters, blogs, event diaries and presentations. The ability to write is essential.


Source:http://goo.gl/o3uKJh



Tip #2: You need to be Well-spoken.

There a number of students who study Public Relations but have no idea what they are getting themselves into. Being a Publicists requires you to be well spoken, have confidence and ooze with charisma. I mean you need people to fall in love with you, or at least listen to you when you speak.

 
     Source:http://goo.gl/Zhkvvh


Tip #3: Always be honest.

Honesty is a vital part of Public Relations. You will be taught at all times to be honest and ethical. Be a Public Relations Practioner who is respected and loved for the truth. Presenting factual information to the audience builds a loyal following.


Source: http://goo.gl/hWZGAu

Tip # 4 : You need to be emotionally intelligent

This is probably one of the hardest skills for me. The ability to put others before yourself and de-attach yourself from any emotions to be objective and fair. You need to be insensitive, that sounds so cruel right? Unfortunately it is the truth for most Public Relations Practioners. Perfect example of this would be the Oscar trail, you need to be as objective as possible regardless of how it is you feel. Your feelings do not really matter, who's important is the client and their happiness.


Source: http://goo.gl/TqVhIz

Tip #5: Time management

You need to be able to think on your feet, for time may not always be on you side. Average hours of a Public Relations Practioner are 16 hours daily. You need to schedule your life around your work, depending on your job description and company. So before studying Public Relations, think long and hard.


Source: http://goo.gl/ZNjopg


Here is a link about more tips about studying Public Relations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWC1_q4dads

These are some of the tips I would recommend for those who would love to pursue the study of Public Relations. I hope you had fun reading this blog, hope I didn't do too bad! Lets have a conversation, what are some of the tips that you would give that I didn't mention? Have fun, this is no platform to judge one another but rather be interactive and have fun doing so. This is me signing Out...Love you guys...until the next blog...xoxo

13 comments:

  1. Wow I really enjoyed reading your blog girl its so interesting and easy to understand it goes straight to the point well done I love your layout as well keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog indeed and I must say these is so true all these tips are important when one is studying PR ,and they should know it is not as easy as it seems. .You need to believe in yourself and consider all these tips in order to make it in the industry! !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abongile Thank you so much. One need to be bold, clear and precise when blogging. I would like to believe I am a fun person

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dazzling Deo unfortunately people enter into a course with no slightest idea of what Public Relations is and when the get there it is such a surprise and end up dropping out. Wanted to Highlight the most important tips for me, so one may be able to have abit of insight about such.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say all of these tips are insightful specially for a person who wants to study Public Relations, and for the current student. Since a PRP is the face of the company you need to have all these tips if not the third of them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nomfundo that is absolutely true, we need to have some knowledge of something before committing yourself to it and I am glad I could assist. Any other tips you have in mind to add to what I said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I really believe that the way you pointed out your points is essential you concentrated more on the requirement's of being a PR rather than the glamour side, and therefore i think that way you are doing the right thing because you are unbiased but you show both sides of the point making someone to be objective when choosing PR an not just diving in

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are really relevant and vitally crucial tips you have made there Amanda, pretty insightful for anyone who wishes to venture into the world of PR and useful to those of us who are already in the industry, nice one girl, i love it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Refilwe , I tried to make it insightful but light and fun. I am glad it is helpful for those who would like to pursue Public Relations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great post indeed informative and fun to read as we all need this, to further our studies which is Public Relations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! These are very interesting tips hey and I think they will be very useful for future PR students.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post is well written and super insightful. These tips are practical and helpful. This is a definite must read big ups ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great staff with a fresh and hungry mind, its all about combining your material well .. love it

    ReplyDelete